Sunday, February 24, 2013

Miiverse Art - Mario & Yoshi, Now and Then

This is the first piece of Miiverse art that I actually spent a considerable amount of time on, as well as the first I did for the hell of it and not because the game prompted me to draw something (notice the lack of level tags).

I believe it was right around Thanksgiving, and I had a little more time than usual since I had been in a car accident a few weeks before and was still unable to drive, so I'd been working from home. Work was dead because of the upcoming holiday, so I passed time between calls working on this picture. I think it probably took me about four hours or so, on and off.

Anyway, this was my first time trying to achieve fine details and the only time I've attempted trying to recreate existing artwork rather than doing an original interpretation of these characters. But obviously New Super Mario Bros. U owes a lot to Super Mario World, and the cover art for the two games really shows how both Mario and Yoshi have evolved over the past two decades, so I wanted to draw attention to that. I started to develop some Wii U drawing techniques while working on this picture that would carry over to later pictures.



Because of the length of time I worked on this picture and the fear of possibly losing it before I was able to post it, this is the first time I photographed the drawing as I was working on it, so I can share a bit of the process with you today...

No comments: