Sunday, March 3, 2013

Miiverse Art - You Distract Him

This picture marked something of a turning point in my NSMBU Miiverse art. I would continue to do little gag pictures, but this was the first one where I really tried to capture my personal experience of playing through the level. As I mentioned before, I played through the entire game with my boyfriend with him playing as Mario and me playing as Luigi (I've been a big fan of Luigi since I was a kid, so I insist on playing him whenever possible). While we were trying to get the first(?) Star Coin in the Haunted Shipwreck level, followed closely behind by Boos, I played decoy to distract a Boo while Mario went after the Star Coin below. It amused me since Luigi is known for his fear of ghosts, and it painted a cute image in my mind, which I've hopefully carried over into pixels.

I also developed a new cartoony style for Mario and Luigi in this one that I'd use in a few other pictures going forward. It was intended to be something I could draw relatively quickly but still express some emotion. The short stature of the characters, in addition to making them look kind of cute, was intended to help them better fit within the narrow drawing area on the GamePad. I tried to work quickly on this one while still adding in a rough idea of a background and multiple characters, but the drawings were starting to take a bit longer...

2 comments:

Joseph III said...

Fantastic pic! Looking forward to seeing more of these!

Karen said...

Thanks! :)