Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Back to Basics

The main goal of this mini project is to get back into 3D modeling after being out of it for few years to focus on sprite animation. I believe the last time I really spent any quality time with Maya was back in 2007 while working on some character animations for a game prototype in the early days of Island Officials. After we moved over to Nintendo DS development, we've been mostly focusing on 2D art. And while I love 2D art and animation, I don't want to let my 3D skills continue to get rusty!

Unfortunately, I've found that every time I leave Maya alone for more than a few months, I need to spend some time re-learning it. And this is probably the biggest gap I've had since I first started toying with 3D modeling back in college ten years ago. It's almost a bit intimidating going back after so long, but part of me misses it, too.

I decided to start with re-introducing myself to Maya 7. It's an older version, but it's the last one I used and the version I currently have access to. I know that Maya's seen a lot of changes since then, but I figure that if I have an opportunity to learn a newer version of Maya or another 3D package, it would be easier to locate the functions I'm looking for if I'm first able to refresh myself with what I was once so familiar. Plus, it's less of a barrier to actually creating the work if I don't have the added pressure of learning a new program, and right now it's all about creation and improving techniques that could be applied to any 3D package.

Fortunately, in my first day or so of modeling, a lot more has come back to me than I was expecting, so that's a good sign. :)

I decided to start with a basic box model and take it from there. I'd like to go into my thought process while creating this model going forward. But for now, here's a really rough version of the model!

No comments: